Here is a step by step basic lip balm recipe. It is very quick and easy to make, perfect for beginners. This recipe will make enough lip balm for you and a few friends. Once you have made this, you can always play around with adding other things like honey, vanilla essence, vitamin e oil, jojoba oil etc. The possibilities are endless.
10g (2 teaspoons) beeswax
5g (1 teaspoon) cocoa butter
80ml (4 tablespoons) sweet almond oil
5ml (1 teaspoon) vegetable glycerine
Aprox 20 drops flavoured or essential oil (optional)
You will need:
Small stainless steel saucepan
Medium saucepan (or a double boiler)
Glass lip balm jars (3 or 4 depending on size)
* plastic containers can be used for unflavoured lip balm, but if you’re using essential oils, you’ll need to use glass jars.
What to do:
1. Fill the medium saucepan 1/3 with water and boil it.
2. Put beeswax and cocoa butter in the small saucepan and sit it in the boiling water to gently melt it.
3. Add almond oil and glycerine, keeping it over the heat.
4. When the mixture is liquid, remove it from the heat and stir it well until it starts to cool.
5. Stir in essential oils once it has cooled and before it gets too thick.
6. Pour into lip balm jars. Leave the lids off for a few hours until completely cool and hard.
* I bought all of my ingredients and lip balm jars from Handmade Naturals at Highgate Hill in Brisbane, but there are heaps of other suppliers around where you can find all of these items. If you do an internet search for ‘lip balm making supplies’ you’ll come up with loads of places.